Looking for New Windows in Your Mankato, Minnesota Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When buying windows for your restoration or new construction project, you obviously want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you make this important decision, ponder these facts:
- Windows can impact the interior and exterior look and feel of your Mankato area home.
- The type of windows you select can make a measureable difference in your home’s energy bills.
- The quality of your windows can have a positive cost impact on the overall value of your Mankato area residence if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to investigate the style and function options available, you will be pleased with your purchase and appreciate the pleasure of gazing through your new windows for years to come.
What factors should you consider when purchasing replacement windows for your Mankato home?
- Will my new windows look good on my house? Don’t forget that you are going to see your replacement windows most often from the interior of your house, not standing outside of it. Picture things in your mind from inside and study the view carefully; does the style, color and type of opening (crank shaft or sliding) work with your home’s interior? Will you be able to easily open the window for cleaning? How does the sunlight appear during the morning and afternoon? And don’t forget to stand outside from many viewing positions to evaluate if the style of replacement window you are considering complements with the fascia of your Mankato home.
- What is the energy efficiency rating of the windows I am considering? Understand the facts relating to your windows that relate to their energy efficiency. Items to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values measure the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify ratings of efficiency before you purchase a window to help lower heating and cooling spending and make the most of your investment.
- Is it convenient to operate the windows? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to try out the functionally of any window before you buy it. Is it easy to open and close the window? How much effort does it take to clean the window? Can the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window coverings undisturbed? If the window will be an emergency exit in case of fire, make sure it opens easily and offers an adequately-sized opening.
- What is the installation process? Installation of your windows is either blended with the overall purchase price or requires a third-party contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- Is it easy to clean and maintain your new windows? The weather in the Mankato area changes often. Wind, rain, sun and snow can have a negative impact on the appearance of the glass, especially on low quality windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles in order for you to easily clean your windows and allow them to look great for many years to come.
- What is available in terms of color and hardware options? Color selection reflects your style and increases the overall appeal of your Mankato home. Some manufacturers offer few exterior color choices. Determine what color schemes are in place for the windows you are considering. Don’t forget, there are plenty of option to coordinate window hardware with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinets, faucets and even appliances.
- How much does a quality window cost? Quality windows come at a price. The cheapest windows may not be your best buy. Windows are an investment in your property. The type of window you select should be based more on performance than on price.
We invite you to visit Pella at the Mankato area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 507-625-6933.