There is a moment every Mankato winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uneasy and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts might be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Mankato home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and cracks in unusual areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with operable capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Check to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket by the functional portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Mankato to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to address the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Mankato a call at 507-625-6933 with any extra questions or potential replacement needs.