Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Mankato, Minnesota?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Mankato and you can still find time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home remains and helps save on energy costs.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Make sure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, which may include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient products.
If you want more information about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Mankato at 507-625-6933.